Monday, March 29, 2010

CNY Lesson #1

If there's one thing I'd learned this Chinese New Year, it's family first. What was supposed to be a reunion dinner (on the night before the 1st day of CNY) turned out to be somewhat a day I will never forget.

It was a fine Saturday afternoon when I went out for a game of badminton with my college mates. I was told to come home by 5pm because we needed to go to grandma's place. I drove to my friend's house at around 12pm to carpool his car to the badminton court. Things didn't go well from there because his colleagues' car broke down while we were waiting for them to arrive. So, time was wasted there. But anyway, we all met up eventually but arrived at the court at around 1.30pm.

Played for 2 hours and had lunch at around 4pm at McD's. Since we all seldom meet up, our lunch time flew so quickly that I didn't realise it was going to be 5pm (4.45pm to be exact)! I rushed my friend to quickly finish up and fetch me back. By the time we reached his home, it was already 5pm. Rushed to my car, drove like the wind back to my house...and guess what?

While I was about to reach home...my parents were already driving their car out the front gate.

#^%#


What?! I didn't bother to say anything, I just went into the house thinking "wtf...go so early for what...not like we're gonna eat so soon...it's only 5.30pm...#%^# I kept thinking of it in the bathroom while i was cleaning up, still thinking if I should join them later for the reunion dinner. And then, a very familiar ringtone that I had assigned for my mother (ha-ha...) was heard echoing in the bathroom. I hesitated to pick up, but I thought "ah, what the heck".

Mom: "Later when you come over, can you please bring the zhai?"

Me: "... ... ...I'm not going"

Mom: "Why not going? Don't be like that la. New year eve, must visit your grandma and your relatives. Join us for reunion dinner la"

Me: "I thought you didn't want me to go? Why didn't you bring the zhai yourself?"

*Father's voice can be heard at the background*

Mom: "Aiya, ok la, if you dont want to go then nvm la"

And that's how the conversation ended. Damn I was so... grrrrr...Instantly I thought of eating the zhai they left behind, doesn't matter how much they've prepared. EAT UNTIL SATISFIED.
It's like, what the #&%# were they thinking? Leaving me behind, letting me travel on my own to my grandma's place (which btw is near to my said friend's house -_-), and asking me to bring along the zhai as an excuse for me to come along...nonsense la, somemore can afford to pretend being nice on the phone...as if I'm a puppet...

To be continued...

No comments: